Stone Soup
By: Marsha Brown
Traditional Literature

            A group of three soldiers come walking into a French Village. They are all tired and hungry, so they go asking for food. Since the villagers did not know the soldiers, they were afraid and hid all their food from them and said they had no place for them to stay. The soldiers told villagers that they could make a soup from three stones. The villagers get excited about this idea, and help them gather necessities for their stone soup. When the soldiers give hints that vegetables will make the soup better, the villagers bring them their            previously hidden vegetables.
            After finishing the soup, all the villagers and soldiers enjoyed a feast together. The villagers ended up bringing meat, and other delicious food for them to share. After the soldiers get to stay with one of the villagers, the story ends with the soldiers saying goodbye to the once terrified villagers.


This actually isn’t one of my favorite books, but I still think it is of good quality, therefore I would still use it in my classroom. I’m not sure why, but I’m not a big fan of the illustrations in this book, but this is only an opinion. That’s why I will still use it because I’m positive at least one of the students will enjoy this folk tale. I believe this book would be good for students from K-3rd grade, in kindergarten it would have to be read to them of course, but I believe they could understand concepts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog