The Kissing Hand
By: Audrey Penn
Fantasy

This story is about a young raccoon named Chester who did not want to start school. He is so terrified he cries about attending Kindergarten. He loves to read and swing on his swing, so he wanted to stay home with his mother and do what he was used to. Chester’s mother explains to him the importance of starting school. She tells Chester how much fun he will have when he goes. She comforts Chester about starting school by taking and kissing the palm of his hand. She explains how when he is missing her he can put his hand on his chest and remember how much his mommy loves him. Chester is so excited about the kissing hand that he gives his mother a kiss on the hand too, and happily goes off to school.

I remember my mom reading this book to me before my first day of school every year when I was little. I owned the book, but it lost when we moved house. I think this is an amazing book to share with Kindergarteners especially since many of them may struggle with leaving their normal life to start school. Change is hard for children, so this is a good way to remind them that sometimes change is good.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog