Freedom Over Me
By: Ashley Bryan
Historical Fiction

            This book is based on property to be sold from the Fairchilds’ estate. It lists hogs, cattle, a handmill, and men, women and children. Only gender, name and price are given to the 11 slaves are noted in the appraisal of the estate. The author lovingly gives humanity to each of these slaves mentioned. She gives them ages, relationships, talents and dreams.
            Each slave is given two double page spreads of beautiful artwork and poems to describe them, and to share their dreams of how they one day may impact the world. For example we have Bacus who works in metal work for the Fairchilds’, but his dream is that every time he  hits the metal, it is a blow of anger and outrage.

I had never heard of this book before this assignment, but man am I glad I have found it. This is so beautiful. Giving life to the once looked at as lifeless. I wish that these men and women could somehow see the beauty Ashley Bryan has done with only their names. This book is good for all age groups. From around 3rd grade to 12th grade would be best for this book so that children can grasp the idea of slavery. I would absolutely use this in my classroom someday, in fact I can not wait to use it someday in my class.


Comments

  1. I love Ashley Bryan's art. I'm glad you found this book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog