Rules
By: Cynthia Lord
Realistic Fiction
Newbery Medal

            Rules is the story of a 12 year old girl named Catherine. She has a little brother with severe autism named David, whom she spends most of her time babysitting. To keep David out of trouble Catherine makes many rules for David. An example is, “say excuse me after you burp.” Two big events happen to Catherine in the summer that change Catherine’s life.
            A new neighbor moves in with a 12 year old girl named Kristi. Kristi is a popular and cool girl that Catherine very badly wants to befriend. Catherine gets embarrassed of her little brother though and worries that he may ruin her chances of becoming friends with Kristi.
            Also, Catherine meets a boy at the hospital when she goes with her brother to get OT done. The little boys name is Jason. He is confined to a wheelchair, is physically deformed, and can not speak. Catherine draws cards for Jason to put in his book to help him communicate as a sweet gesture. After spending much time together, Jason and Catherine become great friends.
            Kristi, wants Catherine to bring Jason to the school dance, but Catherine is afraid of being ridiculed. Jason’s party is that same day, so she decides to take the easy way out and go to Jason’s party. Jason hears about this dance that Catherine is missing, and asks if she wants to go with him. After hesitating, Catherine grows as a character and decides to go and be brave. They go to the dance, and discover Kristi’s true colors. Catherine decides that Jason is a true friend, and that she need not to worry about fitting in with Kristi.


This is a wonderful book for children in junior high and high school. So many kids are worried about fitting in, and looking good to other students. I think this is a great book not only for the meaning behind it, but also for the writing; It has won a Newbery Award. I remember reading this book in junior high in Mr. Whatley’s class. This was my all time favorite class I have ever been in, because Mr. Whatley helped me to fall in love with reading and writing all over again. I had been discouraged before by people making fun of my handwriting, and telling me I wasn’t good enough. Mr. Whatley believed in me, and after that I believed more in myself.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog